Tuesday, September 2, 2014

disabled person an inspiration???

Hello Everyone,

Recently I got involved in a discussion about a term I do not like 'Inspirational Por#" (I didn't finish the word because I don't like the word)it is a new term that some disabled people have started to use for shock view to get people involved in the topic... The topic is when strangers come up to a disabled people n say something like 'Oh I am so proud of you" when they know nothing of what the disabled person life has been... 
I understand why some disabled people may dislike that happening but I have to say it is much much better then what I saw when I was a kid n teen; back then people would pull their kids away from a disabled person, or when the kid started to ask a question the parent would hush them up, or kids just stared at the disabled person... When I saw a parent hushed the child I would say 'Don't do that, let the child ask a question, how else are they going to learn!!!" 
Now, if someone says they are proud of you; yes you could reply rudely or get upset but Why not use it as a chance to educate them about a disability... Is it not better to be nice n positive then getting yourself upset n getting the other upset by your tone in your response to them...
I still see people starring at me once in a while but because I wear a wacky hat, have many things around my neck(mainly for easy access n easier to find when needed) n I try to smile every  where I go n some might be wondering why is that guy happy, so I don't think they are noticing the wheelchair as much as my weirdness n when they do comment they might start with my hat then open up n ask about why I am in the wheelchair n I am happy to tell them... Being open to people n honest with them surprises them n also makes an impact on the there I think for the positive...

I grew up hearing the word 'Cripple' for many many years n to me it is as bad of a ward as the 'N' word to fellow humans that have better tans then I do.... I hate the word 'Cripple' n do not like this new term for people that might truly think we are we are an inspiration, we live is a world meant for the abled bodied person so when we are out n about people may truly inspired by our pushing though the stuff in our way to live in this world... I rather people talk to me then shun or ignore me by talking I can share with them n teach them about my disability, I think that is way more productive then getting upset at them n them getting upset back...

Coming up with shocking terms by using ugly words will(has) split disabled people view on an issue that I know some hate dealing with... I believe if we don't shock people we wouldn't be split on the issue n we can educate others about disability instead of upsetting yourself n others...

As for me most my friends know my life but those that don't; I was born with a brittle bone disorder(called Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.if.org) n had many many many broken bones most before I was a teenager n a handful in my teen years n young adult life n now worrying about having more again because of the OI n Osteoporosis that doctor says I have now as well. My childhood was hard n painful but other children at a disabled camp that have things even harder n that helped me learn to be grateful for what I can do n even more now that I had a stroke(in 2008)... I am now bound to an electric wheelchair n worked hard to get to a level that I can take care of myself all I need is the electric wheelchair n it in working condition n power for the batteries...
I am also a recovering alcoholic n that also was a hard thing to do So, my life has had many issues but I have chose to love life, enjoy everyday I wake n live...
I now try to help others with dealing with their issues by sharing my life, issue n HUGs I can't fix their problems but can try to inspire them in their life by sharing my life n love of it n let them know it can hopefully be better if they will it so, I also believe in a higher power that helps me but I don't push others to believe in a higher power but do try to push them in believing in themselves but I am human so not perfect nor try to be I try to be the best me as possible n I know others can do great I believe in those that need someone that needs someone to help them smile, happy, wacky n laugh; HUGs!!! 

Just my opinion I wanted to share it with you all... 
Thanks for Reading this...

sincerely,
Giovano 'Koala' Fusco Jr.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust Issues

Hello Everyone, To those that don’t know me my name is Giovano aka Rev. Koala Yes I am an ordained minister but am an independent minister (...